Organs and Pianos

SANCTUARY INSTRUMENTS

Möller Organ Opus 8093

Sanctuary Organ Specifications

The original installation of Möller Pipe Organ, Opus 8093 took place in 1951 and was a major component of the church’s one hundred-fiftieth anniversary celebration. This installation included a three manual detached console and one pipe chamber located across the front of the chancel. The instrument was much larger than its predecessor, so the chancel was enlarged to accommodate the new pipe chamber.

From 1958-1960 The Sanctuary underwent a major remodeling program that included a significant expansion of the chancel. The organ was removed and placed in storage during much of this time. When re-installed all four divisions of the organ were placed in a new pipe chamber located on the south wall of the chancel, several feet above floor level. In 1988 the organ was renovated and enlarged by thirteen ranks which required a larger console and more space for the new pipes. An additional pipe chamber was constructed on the north wall of the chancel across from the existing one to house the entire Swell division and a portion of the Pedal division. The renovated organ was dedicated on Sunday, October 16, 1988 and has remained unaltered until present.

In July of 2003, organ consultant, Robert G. Capra visited First Presbyterian Church to assess the condition of The Sanctuary organ. He recommended that the existing instrument be totally re-voiced and expanded by approximately twenty ranks. Miller Pipe Organ Company of Buford, Georgia, was selected to be the general organ contractor. The first proposal and specifications for the renovation were submitted by Miller Pipe Organ Company September 5, 2003, and were approved shortly after by The Session. These plans included the addition of several digital ranks and a movable platform on which the console would be placed, designed by Walker Technical Company of Zionsville, Pennsylvania.

In December, 2005 the Möller console was removed from its fixed location in the center of the chancel and shipped to Walker Technical Company for refurbishment. There it was stripped of its former mechanical components and replaced with a new digital operating system. In addition, new draw knobs, tabs, pistons, expression pedals and illuminated menu display were added. The console was returned and installed in March, 2006.

During the three months that the console was in Pennsylvania, Miller Pipe Organ Company began its work here. Before any tonal work could begin repairs and re-bracing of most of the existing pipe chests were performed. Once all repairs were completed Mr. Miller and his team of specialists began adjusting the tonal color of each of the 2,315 pipes. This process is known as re-voicing. Some pipes were too strong and others needed to be stronger. It took approximately one month to make the necessary adjustments to every pipe in both chambers. Now all the pipes speak with greater clarity and have a better presence in the room, making the instrument more effective in worship and in recital.

In addition to re-voicing the organ, Miller Pipe Organ Company added three ranks of pipes (Gemshorn, Voce Umana and 4’ Pedal Flute), replaced the 8’ Great Principle with new pipes, and united the 8’ Pedal Principle which was previously divided between two chambers in the 1988 renovation. The pipes used for Gemshorn and Voce Umana were made by the Kimball Pipe Organ Company and were originally installed in First Baptist Church, Bristol, Virginia. They are estimated to be one hundred years old. The Möller 4’ Pedal Flute was taken from Roswell United Methodist Church, Roswell, Georgia and is also estimated to be approximately the same age.

In its present state, the organ has 63 ranks of pipes, 51 stops and 2,315 pipes making it one of the largest instruments in the Fayetteville metropolitan area. The organ is now capable of playing a much wider range of literature and is better suited to support congregational singing.

First Church is truly blessed to have an instrument of this caliber accompanying weekly services and assisting in worship. Perhaps the most remarkable thing to note throughout this process is that all funds were generously given by individuals who value and support the music ministry of this great congregation. We give thanks to God for this blessing and for the gift of music.

Kawai  Grand Piano

The Kawai Grand Piano is designed to provide years of musical pleasure used on the concert stage, the teaching studio, the church, the classroom, and in the home.  Kawai’s craftsmen will tell you that wood has its own sound. Wood shows its breeding, good or bad, just as any living thing. A thorough understanding of wood comes not from the head but the heart. This quality alone is one of the characteristics that makes each piano unique as a solo instrument.

The piano soundboard is located on the bottom of a grand piano which is located beneath the iron frame. Each Kawai soundboard is crafted from the finest quality of spruce wood. The rest of the piano case is solid maple or laminated hard rock maple. The surface veneers of each piano are selected from a single tree. The frame is cast iron finished in smooth bronze as it serves as the piano backbone. The strings are top quality steel ingot and all bass strings are copper-wound. The foot pedals feature three solid brass pedals: full sustain, sostenuto, and unacorda (soft).

This instrument is five feet one inch in length and finished in ebony satin. For convenient movement to any location in the Chapel of First Presbyterian Church, the piano rests on three wheel piano gliders with wheel locks for secure placement.

CHAPEL INSTRUMENTS

Möller Organ Opus 7954

Chapel Organ Specifications

On June 15, 2011, the Session of the First Presbyterian Church received a generous gift of a thirteen rank Möller organ for the Chapel. The instrument has been reconstructed and expanded to its current thirteen ranks.

History
The Möller organ replaces the Allen Digital organ, which was installed in the Chapel in 1995. The Allen organ was given in memory of Brenda Carter McFadyen, as was the Möller organ.

The Möller organ in the Chapel was originally installed in the Sanctuary of the First Presbyterian Church of Eden, North Carolina, as a new instrument in 1949. Constructed by the M.P. Möller Company, the instrument originally had eight ranks of pipes and a set of tubular chimes. The organ was acquired in 2011 by First Presbyterian Church of Fayetteville, for use in the Chapel.

Design and Installation
The instrument has been completely rebuilt by George Miller and the Miller Pipe Organ Company of Buford, Georgia. New and efficient electronics have been added to the console, and a new MIDI system will allow the organist to engage the steeple bells. The organ’s basic design has been expanded from eight ranks of pipes to thirteen ranks. The pipes themselves were refurbished completely in a time-consuming process known as “re-voicing.” This will add to the range and clarity of the organ. In addition, the tubular chimes were installed along with a Zimbelstern. The organ pipes and sound apparatus have been installed in the two chambers on the sides of the chancel.

 

Dedication
The Möller Organ – Opus 7954 – was given in loving memory of Brenda Carter McFadyen by her husband John, and her sons John Carter and Alex, and father-in-law Scott, and dedicated by the family on Sunday, February 26, 2012.

 

WE WELCOME you to become a part of this great church in Fayetteville, North Carolina. If you are new to this community, or you do not have a church home, the doors of First Presbyterian Church are open. If you would like to have one of our pastors or staff people contact you concerning membership, you may call the church office (483-0121).

First Presbyterian Church
P.O. Box 569 (102 Ann St.), Fayetteville, NC, 28302

Phone: 910-483-0121, Fax: 910-483-3975
 Facebook icon1  Established 1800